Sunday, December 18, 2011

Graduate student break

So, I have been busy studying and getting my MAT in English. After three semesters and two summers I have reached the point of interning with a GPA of 3.909, attended 3 research conferences, awaiting word from 2 conferences, getting at least 2 research articles published, attended 2 NCTE Conventions, and am now a member of ALAN. Seems like life changes drastically in a graduate program. I have hardly had time to knit, but every Thursday I go to my local yarn shop (Rainy Day Creations) and knit with good friends. I have made a couple cowls, a vest for my mom, working on a second sock, made a Lady Eleanor, completed a clapotis, made two short sleeve sweaters for teaching, made a lace tunic, made my first lace shawl, and need to finish a third sweater. I'm about to start a top down sweater class with Hattie at the shop so I can finally make sweaters that fit my body nicely. I've joined the YMCA and exercise with friends who inspire me to get healthy. I took up spinning and weaving in the last couple years and now am a proud mama of three looms and two wheels. I will probably get a traveling wheel sometime next year when I have a teaching job or am working on a second masters degree. I need to wash a sheep and card the fleece for spinning this Christmas break. I am spinning my fiber that I have stored up over the break so I have an excuse to buy more. I want to knit pretty things with the fiber I have spun. My spinning is getting nicer and my feet are slowing down. This makes me very happy. I want to start a second pair of socks with this really dark purple yarn -- very Gothic! I also have all this yarn stashed away for lace shawls....maybe I'll get to them -- or maybe that yarn will end up in my weaving. I need to finish my current weaving project and send it to my friend. It was started for her as a promise. She will get it this winter. There is so much I want to knit and weave. One day it will all get done. This winter break is a chance to get a few things completed and a few new things started.

No comments: