Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics

I am nervous about the state of the nation. Birds have been whispering ill omens to me of what is to come. what is happening now is similar to stories I've heard from friends' about the circumstances for years in Cuba. If a reporter is not allowed to ask questions for fear of the station being black-balled from any future political interviews then our freedom of speech will soon be held in a political vice-grip. If we, as a democratic nation, are not allowed to be aware of fundamental requirements of our political candidates stated in our Constitution, then why should that candidate be allowed to run for office. Is the skeleton that bad? Is our expectation of at least meeting the requirements to run for office no longer count as a grounds for dismissal if one of the requirements isn't met? Why should our government bail out companies that have authorized too much credit or have made products below the standard of what Americans need? The government never bailed me out of my mistakes or my debt, instead I am rewarded with a bad credit rating and higher interest rates that are variable on my student loans. Hiring at my university has been locked, so the departments who need more professors to meet educational requirements for students to get a liberal arts education are unable to hire instructors to teach me. To add to this state of affairs some professors are being layed off or have classes taken from them, which creates less opportunities for students to complete their degrees in a timely manner. How many years will it take for a student to complete all their requirements necessary for their degree now? 10 years? Also, I have found out that my professors have not received a raise in at least three years. How does that promote a person to strive to do their job to the best of their ability? What reward is that for a university to at least not give a raise based on rising inflation? In essence, the people teaching are now getting payed less now than they were 5 years ago as the cost of living has risen. Is it good for the generations of students to come to be in the position of learning less than those before them due to the debt of a nation? I truly wonder where we are headed and it makes me not only nervous but depressed.

No comments: